This is an experiment. I am wondering if I can link a facebook blast of photos to my blog, so that family and friends and parents not on facebook can get a glimpse into the wonderful days of our students at school ~ or not at school, as in this case. Today we spent an amazing day walking 4.75 miles through Pullman, almost completely along the river. Our focus was on:
- tree identification. Our classrooms are named after trees. We wanted to identify an oak, aspen, willow, maple and spruce tree. Mission accomplished!
- botany. How do seeds disperse?
- history – local and recent. Why is Pullman here? Water, railroad, university.
- history – ancient. If we had lived long, long ago in this area, how would we have met our fundamental needs for water, food, shelter, clothing, transportation, defense, etc.
- community building – spending a fun day out together builds shared memories.
- Sense of competence – I can hike, cross rivers, spend a day outdoors, handle public transportation
If you would like to see a photo diary of our day out, please go to https://www.facebook.com/TheMontessoriSchoolofPullman/posts/10155648272366774